| | | |
Home Photo Gallery Newsletter Feedback Sitemap

 You are in : About us | History

History of Vidya Mandir

The School originally began as a Ladies' Club - hence the name Mylapore Ladies Club (MLC) School Society It first started as a kindergarten for the boys of the area. This was in February 1956. The first president of the society was Sister Subbalakshmi, who was supported by Shri Subbaraya Aiyar, a leading lawyer of his time, and Mrs. Padmini Chari, Educationist. Thus the school was born on the 3rd of February 1956, through the efforts of the three, and Vidya Mandir Matriculation School was formally opened in 1960.

The MLC School Society was registered in 1957, and the properties of the club were transferred to it. Sister R. S. Subbalakshmi and Mrs V K T Chari, were Founder President and Correspondent respectively, Shri. M Subbaraya Aiyar became the secretary of the school.

In these 5 decades, Vidya Mandir has taken giant strides as an educational institution. The school's vision was so farsighted that it holds good even today. Although started for boys, it is today a coeducational school with over 2000 students , 100 teachers, and 35 support staff.


About Us
  Our Philosophy
© 2005 Vidya Mandir. Best Viewed with IE 5+ @ 800*600